Stella is a Professor of Extension and Distance Education. She has been involved in various projects relating to quality education for sustainable development. Her research interests spans a wide range of Education and Social issues, designing extension education programmes, material development and evaluation in distance education, Literacy and non-formal education, information communication technology in education, women's education and human resource development.
Professor Nwizu has executed many funded research projects, among them are:
- Redesigning the Curriculum for the Market/Mechanic Village School Programmes in south eastern Nigeria, funded by Education Trust Fund
- Impact Assessment of the Federal Teachers Scheme of the Universal Basic Education in South East Nigeria, funded by Universal Basic Education
- Assessment of Gaps in Non Formal Education Delivery in UNICEF A' Field States of Nigeria, funded by UNICEF
- Capacity Building Project for Literacy Instructors/ Facilitators, funded by National Mass Education Commission
- Project on Restructuring of Adult and Non-Formal Education Minimum Standards funded by National Commission for Colleges of Education
- Capacity Building Project for Officers on Grade levels 14-16 in the Federal Civil Service (OHCSN), funded by Millennium Development Goals
- Critiquing, Editing and Formatting of Developed Document Titled
- NFE in Nigeria: Policy Issues and Practice, funded by National Commission For Mass Literacy Adult and Non-Formal Education.